Friday, November 23, 2007

"Hello! Would you like to make a difference in a child's life?"



... That's the question that I've been asking people all day at work.

I think that it's much more effective than, "Would you like to donate to our Love of Reading Fund?" because when you ask someone if they would like to make a difference in someone's life, especially a child's life, they feel somewhat inclined to donate. Saying "NO" to an unfortunate child is totally mean and pre-ghostly encounters Scrooge.

Still, there are those who say...

"Um, no!"
"... Ha... ha... I already make a difference."
"What do I get in return?"
"Aw, you can't ask me that! I'd feel terrible if I said no!"
"..." (We get a lot of silences)
"No."
"Oh, I no speaking..."
"Maybe later..." (They don't come back)

... and then there are a lot of people who see us as they come into the store, take a major detour and behind the new releases section.

The kids in the photo above appear on the Love of Reading Fund poster at work. Mary and I named them. From left to right, their names are Arthur, Fiona, Ching-Li, Tom, Rebecca, Sheniqua, and Todd.

Oh, the joys of working at Chapters!